Dog's Dinner

"You're not loved because you're lovable, you're lovable 'cause you're loved."

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Smiling Friends

Just finished David Lodge's Souls and Bodies (actually called How Far Can You Go? but the US publisher changed it for whatever reason) and wanted to share with you one of my favorite parts. Throughout the book, the narrator periodically steps outside of the action and becomes "the author," David Lodge, with some factual banter. In this part he shares an excerpt from a fan letter written to him by a Czech reader:

"Dear Sir, I beg your costly pardon for my extraordinary beg and readings-request, with them I turn at you. I am namely a great reader and books-lover. Among my best friends- books- I have also in my library the Czech copy of your lovely book 'Den zkazy v Britskem museu'. I have read it several times and ever I have found it an extraordinary smiling book. I thank you very much for the best readings experiences and nice whiles, that has given your lovely work..."

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Cynical Idealist said...

This other blogger also just read that novel and discusses it here:

http://eve-tushnet.blogspot.com/2005_05_01_eve-tushnet_archive.html#111755242001336858

and here:

http://eve-tushnet.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_eve-tushnet_archive.html#111828900317096292

 

Post a Comment

<< Home