Dog's Dinner

"You're not loved because you're lovable, you're lovable 'cause you're loved."

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Inside the Forbidden Citi, or, The Revenge of the Signifier

When I switched banks over a year ago, from the godawful Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC), whose only distinction would appear to be that P.G. Wodehouse once worked there, to Citibank, I thought I was doing myself a favor, and in many ways I was, as far as my stateside existence is concerned: Citi has branches everywhere in New York and quite a few in DC, and so far they haven't made such egregious errors with my account as HSBC used to. But I also thought it would simplify and ease matters on the Continent, and in this I was apparently sorely mistaken. There is a Citibank in Gliwice, and I've been using its ATM since I became a Citibank cardholder; but I now see that ATM described on my bank statement as a "NON-CITIBANK ATM," for which offense a harsh penalty must of course be exacted.

Although the logo looks the same to me, it turns out that "Citi" is just another empty signifier, like "Budweiser" or "Tim Williams".

As a flashy poster for a seminar on Diamond Path Buddhism here in Gliwice says, "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they something else."

4 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Cynical Idealist said...

I'm sorry about the ATM, but your readers would probably be willing to recompense your loss in exchange for the hilarity of this post.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Kathleen Lawton-Trask said...

Had you only contacted me earlier! Over here in the Land That Sense Forgot said bank is referred to as "Sh*tibank." I join you in your woes, however, as I too have given them my cash in exchange for a couple of inches of plastic with numbers on.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Faith Williams said...

I would love a copy of that poster-- too true!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Faith Williams said...

I think you should put yourself on the Tim Williams list, possibly with a picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home